The Notebook was first with the week's big news about Heidi Ramirez' resignation from the SRC. Other coverage of the resignation:
Here is a video of the announcement from Al Día:
- The Inquirer had additional reporting during the day of the resignation.
- Al Día reported on the resignation.
- The Notebook gathered reaction to the resignation.
- Leaders of local Latino organizations sent a letter to Gov. Rendell urging him to ask Ramirez to stay on the SRC.
- Notebook reporter Dale Mezzacappa interviewed Gov. Rendell about the resignation.
- Full Inquirer article from the day after the resignation. Also, full article from the Daily News.
- The Inquirer reported Gov. Rendell discussed a possible replacement for Ramirez more than a month before her resignation.
- State Senator Pileggi said that Ramirez' resignation was not part of a budget negotiation. KYW followed up on this report.
- Eric Braxton blogged on the Notebook's site about how citizens need to get involved in ensuring accountability. Here is a site listing resources for citizens.
- Erika Almiron of the Philadelphia Student Union blogged about Ramirez' departure.
- Inquirer columnist Karen Heller asks "Who's minding the minders?"
- Sunday's front page Inquirer story looks at the relationship between Superintendent Ackerman and Ramirez.
- The Inquirer Monday had an editorial stating that "The SRC should never be a rubber stamp."
- Notebook blogger Len Rieser explains how the state takeover law describes the SRC.
- Ed Week blog District Dossier picked up on the drama in Philly.
- Opinion piece in the Daily News from Phil Goldsmith. Discusses the need for ABCs: accountability, boldness, and credibility. And cites the Notebook for reporting the resignation story first.
- Opinion piece in the Inquirer by Nilda Ruiz of APM.
- Highly critical opinion piece calling Ramirez a "coward" in the Inquirer.
- Al Día has a follow up piece about Ramirez' replacement.
- Philadelphia Tribune has front page story about the resignation. The resignation was also front page news in El Hispaño.
- Read Ramirez' resignation letter here and the text of her public statement here.
Check back for ongoing updates on this story. Also, email me if an article should be included in the list.
Also at last week's SRC meeting, the SRC approved Tony Danza's reality TV show to be filmed at Northeast High School. Reported by People magazine, NPR, Inquirer, Daily News, Philadelphia Metro, and many others.
Elsewhere in the news...
- Inquirer reported on the reinforced zero tolerance policy.
- The PFT informed members of the District's proposed changes to their contract. Discussion of this on the Notebook blog.
- After the SRC meeting, Superintendent Ackerman had a more conciliatory tone in regard to contract negotiations.
- Philly schools should open with no vacancies this fall.
- Ackerman's plans for Renaissance Schools reported in the Inquirer, in the Daily News, and by AP.
We're working on building a daily media roundup for the new school year, and so please email us if you have any suggestions of publications, email lists, or other places for us to check for news. Thanks!