Who will be on the councils?
- 7-21 members
- At least 51 percent must be parents of children attending the identified school
- At least two Student Advisory Council members (for high schools only)
- Residents, educators, elected officials, and individuals from community and faith-based organizations, business community, local universities, and economic development organizations
- Educators interested in supporting school transformation
What are their responsibilities?
- Recommending turnaround teams to the superintendent
- Regularly discussing the community’s educational needs
- Hosting community events and outreach activities to gather community input
- Identifying finalist turnaround teams to meet with the community
- Monitoring school progress, including an annual report
- Quarterly meetings with turnaround teams and reporting annually to the superintendent
- Volunteering up to 10 hours each month during the matching and transition process (March-August 2010)
How to apply:
For an application, contact school or regional Parent Ombudsman, or go to the District's website.
Mail application to:
Office of Charter, Partnership and New Schools
The School District of Philadelphia
440 N. Broad Street, Portal A
Philadelphia, PA 19130
Or e-mail it to email@example.com.
Applications are due by March 5, 2010.