The School District says it must "begin reducing the number of 'empty seats' through building closures, program consolidations, and co-location."
The District says these 11 factors will guide its decisions:
- Educational planning guidelines
- Utilization and facility condition
- Enrollment trends
- Adaptive reuse
- Parent and community feedback
- Charter schools
- Neighborhood considerations
- Historic preservation
- Accessibility to programs
- School performance
The District offers these reasons to close and consolidate programs:
- "Program enhancement - better populated schools can yield greater academic program offerings and opportunities for students.
- "Resource efficiencies - better utilization of staff and specialists to support teaching and learning & support services for students.
- "Program realignment - improve access by eliminating redundancy; repurpose available resources for emerging and unique programs of study.
- "Service alignment - improve maintenance and custodial services; prioritize capital schedule & expenditures; revise transportation services."
Please click here for a PDF of the complete center section of this edition. Check back soon to see the rest of the pieces of the center section broken out and posted in a more readable format online.