The Philadelphia Public School Notebook, a high-energy newsroom with top-shelf staff and a commitment to improving quality and equity in public education, is looking for a part-time education reporter. The education reporter is responsible for covering the public education beat in Philadelphia, including a mix of breaking news, longer investigative pieces, and features.
A. In coordination with other staff members, keep abreast of significant developments in the Philadelphia School District and in charter schools and develop relationships with news sources.
B. Participate in weekly editorial planning meetings at the Notebook to guide breaking-news coverage plan.
C. Participate in planning meetings for each print edition of the Notebook with editorial staff and the editorial board to guide longer investigative pieces.
D. Produce news stories for the website each day, and assist other writers with their reporting. For the print edition, produce investigative stories, news-in-review-stories and possibly a sports column. Work with editors throughout the story production process.
E. Regularly seek out opportunities to get wider dissemination of stories in other publications and media.
F. Contribute to maintaining the Notebook’s database of news sources and issue files.
G. As time permits, support the organization by promoting readership and participating in fundraising activities.
· Knowledge of and demonstrated interest in urban public education issues. Knowledge of Philadelphia and its schools.
· Commitment to quality and equality in public schools and to public engagement in education issues.
· Experience as a journalist and strong reporting skills. Ability to write about complex issues in clear, simple language.
· Multimedia skills – photography, video, web, social media – are desirable.
· Ability to work collectively and also function independently.
Please send resume and clips to Maria Archangelo, Notebook publisher, at email@example.com.
The Notebook is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.