TAG, Notebook co-sponsor Monday forum
By thenotebook on Nov 14, 2011 01:37 PM
Join the Philadelphia Public School Notebook and Teacher Action Group (TAG) for an interesting and enlightening discussion about teaching in a time of testing.
The event, entitled “Cheating or Resistance?: Teaching and Learning in a Time of Testing”, is tonight from 6-7:30 p.m. at the United Way Building.
The Notebook is pleased to share our recent reporting on testing as part of this event. We hope readers and members will take time to participate in a lively discussion of testing from a variety of perspectives.
During the event, TAG speakers will be describing the history of testing and evaluation, as well as discussinng the issue of cheating that has been so prominent in national education news this year.
Participants will be asked to engage with questions such as:
- What is the impact of testing on students, teachers, schools?
- Given the current educational climate, what can educators and communities do moving forward to ensure our students receive the best education possible?
- What alternatives would we like to see, and what might authentic assessment look like under a different framework?
Panel participants include:
- Notebook journalists Ben Herold and Dale Mezzacappa, who will discuss stories about irregularities in test results and other points that led to an article that sparked this conversation.
- Dina Portnoy, director of Alumni Programs at Knowles Science Teaching Foundation and a veteran teacher with nearly 30 years experience, who will discuss the impact of testing on the teaching profession.
- Anissa Weinraub, Teacher Action Group organizer and current Philadelphia high school teacher, who will offer an account of testing from an educator's perspective.
- A student representative will provide a view of testing from the other side of the desk.
Join us for an informative and stimulating discussion. Light refreshments will be served. Thanks to PCCY for organizing the space for this event. For more information, please contact TAG member Mary Del Savio at email@example.com.