Paid Advertisement
view counter

Fall Guide 2009 Vol. 17. No. 1 Spotlight on High Schools

Theme articles

Transferring schools: what you need to know

An interview with LeTretta Jones, director of the District's Office of Student Placement.

By by Paul Socolar and Dale Mezzacappa

NOTEBOOK: You’re a student in the District who wants to go to a different school from the one that you’re in. How do you do that?

JONES: The first [path] is a voluntary transfer program, which is an annual process. Students can file an application beginning the third Monday in September. And we take those applications through the final Friday in October for a transfer for the following school year. Voluntary transfer is by far the most common form of transfer. [The voluntary transfer process has taken the place of the old EH-36 and EH-38 processes.]

NOTEBOOK: Okay. So, that’s number one. Now the second.

JONES: The District has a process called Transfer Due to Extenuating Circumstances. That form is called the EH-36E. Say a child is in school A, and in October of the current year some problem occurs. It could be [related to] school safety. [The potential circumstances are] actually listed on the back of the [form]. [The student] would fill out a 36-E. We request that some type of documentation is attached to substantiate the reason or the need for transfer under this category. And that would be a serious incident report, a police report. Even if it’s not a serious incident report, the school is aware of it, the principal can confirm that, yes, this is a valid request, etc. Then that form goes to the regional office. It’s initiated at the school by the parent. The principal makes a comment that he forwards to the regional office. The regional office looks at that request. If they validate it as indeed extenuating, they then could approve a transfer to another school.

NOTEBOOK: When are these transfers filed?

JONES: At any time during the course of a school year.

The EH-36E form is also used for the [No Child Left Behind} NCLB Unsafe Schools Act. If a school is designated as a persistently dangerous school [this year, the state has labeled 15 high schools and 10 middle schools “persistently dangerous’], parents may request to opt out of the persistently dangerous school into a school that is not on the list. That occurs during the course of the school year.

NOTEBOOK: So at any time, a parent can learn that not only is my kid not feeling safe, but they’re in a school that gives them that right to transfer out?

JONES: Absolutely. By law, we’re obligated to notify parents that their child is in a persistently dangerous school. We send out a letter to every student in those schools that receive that designation

NOTEBOOK: When do students and parents hear whether their transfer request has been approved?

JONES: If it is a voluntary transfer process, the notification typically goes out as early as spring. If it is an extenuating, they usually are notified within a couple of weeks.

NOTEBOOK: There’s also a low-performing school transfer option under No Child Left Behind, right?

JONES: Correct. That’s called the school choice process. That process usually occurs in the spring. Once the list comes out of the schools that did not make [Adequate Yearly Progress], parents in those schools are notified that they have the option to transfer. They’re also notified that they have an option to stay in the school and avail themselves of some of the specialized services [primarily tutoring] that come through Title I [the federal program that provides targeted funds to districts with low-income students.]

Because we know that we have limited space, our district has a right to establish a priority of need [for transfers]. First of all, parents file the application at the current school. The current school puts in information that is related to their standardized test scores and their income status. Once the application comes in, it is actually ranked [with neediest and lowest-performing students getting priority]. The child who is [ranked first at a grade level], whatever [receiving] school is on the list, they get first priority for those schools as long as the schools have space.

When people hear school choice, sometimes they think they can apply to any school. They also think that, “I’m entitled to a transfer.” And of course, by law they are, but again because of the limited spaces, we have to prioritize and create this rank order list, and we follow that list to the letter. We go down the list until we fill all the spaces. Sometimes we run out of space.

NOTEBOOK: When does the school choice process happen?

JONES: Usually, the applications are filed in the spring, and they’re usually notified before the end of the school year. The application called for NCLB [transfers] this year in April. All the kids who filed an NCLB school choice application this year were notified, I believe, some time in June.

NOTEBOOK Let’s talk about students already in high school who want to transfer. What do they do?

JONES: Let me start by saying that typically when you’re in a school for 9th grade, it is assumed that that is going to be the school that you graduate from. However, there may be some students in grade nine that … got into a school that maybe they really didn’t want, or maybe they didn’t get approved because their grades weren’t what they should have been, or they just weren’t lucky; they didn’t get selected by the lottery. In the 9th grade, those students might reapply for grade 10.

Comments (0)

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.

By using this service you agree not to post material that is obscene, harassing, defamatory, or otherwise objectionable. We reserve the right to delete or remove any material deemed to be in violation of this rule, and to ban anyone who violates this rule. Please see our "Terms of Usage" for more detail concerning your obligations as a user of this service. Reader comments are limited to 500 words. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

Read the latest print issue


Philly Ed Feed

Become a Notebook member



Public School Notebook

699 Ranstead St.
Third Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Phone: (215) 839-0082
Fax: (215) 238-2300

© Copyright 2013 The Philadelphia Public School Notebook. All Rights Reserved.
Terms of Usage and Privacy Policy