School District Policy 102 Multiracial-Multicultural-Gender Education
These are excerpts of the policy, which was adopted by the Board of Education January 24, 1994. The full policy is available on the Web at www.phila.k12.pa.us/boe/BPolicy/multiracial.html.
Multiracial-Multicultural-Gender Education is an educational process designed to foster knowledge about and respect for those of all races, ethnic groups, social classes, genders, religions, disabilities, and sexual orientations. Its purpose is to ensure equity and justice for all members of the school community, and society as a whole, and to give those members the skills and knowledge they need to understand and overcome individual biases and institutional barriers to full equality.
The School District of Philadelphia affirms its commitment to Multiracial-Multicultural-Gender Education. In seeking to ensure educational equity and justice for all, Multiracial-Multicultural-Gender Education will be infused throughout all aspects of the educational process. This process will:
- Integrate multiple perspectives in all curricular areas.
- Utilize the variety of skills and knowledge that students and adults from diverse backgrounds bring to teaching and learning.
- Incorporate learning activities to foster knowledge of, acceptance of, and respect for the diverse cultures and histories that make up the fabric of our school communities.
- Foster among children the development of interpersonal and intergroup skills that will prepare them to live harmoniously in a multiethnic/multicultural/multilingual society.
- Facilitate the practices necessary to assist all children to become effective and successful learners regardless of race, ethnicity, social class, gender, religion, disability, or sexual orientation.
- Ensure that staff throughout the District receive appropriate, ongoing opportunities for training and staff development in multicultural understanding.
- Ensure that the commitment to Multiracial-Multicultural-Gender Education is reflected in the diversity of all levels of staffing in the School District of Philadelphia.
- Respect and value parental and community input and participation in the educational process.
- Extend training in Multiracial-Multicultural-Gender Education to parents and community members that reflects multiracial-multicultural-gender equity.
- Implicit in this statement is the requirement that each staff member accept responsibility for the accomplishment of these goals.