May 11 — 3:46 pm, 2012

Last call: Submit your Student Journalism Awards entry today!

Each June we recognize the best work of Philadelphia’s high school newspaper writers and editors. We invite your student publications (print or online) to participate in the Notebook’s 2012 student journalism award competition.

Time for submission is almost up! Our deadline is midnight tonight: Friday, May 11.

To enter, send us one copy of each edition of your school/student newspaper published in the 2011-12 school year. You can send the copies via mail to our office: 3721 Midvale Ave., Philadelphia, PA, 19129 or you can email a link or digital copy to sja@thenotebook.org. The postmark and electronic submission should be dated Friday, May 11.

The student journalism award winners will be recognized at our annual June event from 4:30 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, June 12. We will have music, art, great food and drink, and a brief ceremony where we honor the student journalist award winners.

Our team of judges reviews all entries and seeks out examples of outstanding work. Last year’s awardees included students from Academy at Palumbo’s Griffin Gazette, Furness High School’s The Falcon, the Philadelphia Student Union’s The Union Rep, and Esperanza Academy’s Esperanza Post.

Winning students will receive a cash prize and an e-tablet, courtesy of our student journalism award partners, AL DIA News and IKEA South Philadelphia. Past award categories have included excellence in:

• Column-writing

• Reporting School News

• Commentary

• Data Reporting

All work that is submitted will be considered, and additional award categories may be created. Each school entering will be offered two free admissions to our event.

Winners will be notified by May 25, 2012. If you have any questions about the competition, please contact Noreen Neal at noreenn@thenotebook.org or at sja@thenotebook.org.

the notebook

Our news is free to read, but not to report.

support local journalism

xjavporn.com