William Hite: A look at his background in 5 critical areas
By Katie McCabe on Jun 26, 2012 12:01 PM
Attending tonight’s public engagement forum to hear from superintendent candidate Bill Hite?
Here are links to previous reporting done on five important areas.
1. Education & experience
- Current superintendent of Prince George’s County Public Schools
- 2005 graduate of Broad Superintendents Academy
- Former middle school and high school principal in Henrico County, Virginia
2. Budgeting background
- Collaborated with heads of other Maryland school districts to pressure Maryland state governor to increase state funding to education.
- Faced a projected budget gap of over $85 million for fiscal year 2012 in Prince George’s County, and proposed the elimination of over 1,000 positions to help close it.
- Piloted student-based budgeting in eight schools in Prince George’s County.
3. Work with district reorganization
- Oversaw a plan to decentralize the Prince George’s County school district into regional school zones.
4. Work to improve school performance
- Has supported the increase of charter schools in Prince George’s County.
- Re-organized high-schools around career themes.
- Extended the school day for middle-school students.
5. Efforts to support principals and teachers
- Prince George’s County received a $12.5 million grant from the Wallace Foundation to “improve the principal pipeline.”
- Oversaw the implementation of the district’s first pay-for-performance program.
Also check out our blogger Timothy Boyle’s crowd-sourced list of questions to ask tonight.